What you know, and who you know are both important.
But it’s who knows you that can significantly increase your impact.
And increasing your visibility helps you…
- Draw attention to issues you care about
- Raise the profile of your organization
- Position yourself as a knowledgeable source
We’ve supported more than 2,000 women across the country in a wide range of fields to amplify their voices. Writing timely and engaging commentary gives you the chance to reflect on your ideas, craft your argument and expand your reach. Learning how to manage media interviews increases your effectiveness. Becoming a more dynamic speaker makes you more memorable and persuasive, enhances your impact.
WRITING COMPELLING COMMENTARY
This highly interactive workshop builds women’s leadership capacity and enhances their credibility and influence by providing participants with the confidence and tools to contribute their expertise to the public discourse through compelling, short-form written commentary for newspaper op ed pages and online sites. The session equips women to:
- Own and articulate their authority as experts (recognizing and addressing the entrenched undervaluing of women’s expertise by both society and women themselves);
- Understand the essential elements and format of newspaper commentaries, including how to build a concise, persuasive and accessible argument that is likely to engage a lay audience;
- Increase their publication prospects by linking their expertise to the news and enhancing the relevancy and timeliness of their knowledge;
- Submit their work to online and print editors.
NOTE: We also offer one-on-one editing feedback to workshop participants who send us a draft commentary within three months of attending the workshop (since this significantly increases the publication rate), and expand the audience for published commentaries by posting them on our site, and sharing them through social media.
MAKING THE MOST OF MEDIA INTERVIEWS
Building on participants’ past experiences, this workshop provides practical tools to enhance their capacity to turn media interview requests into education or advocacy opportunities, becoming more effective at crafting and delivering their key messages. Learning outcomes include:
- Understanding how reporters, columnists and talk show hosts operate;
- Preparing for interviews (print/broadcast, friendly/hostile, long/short, live/taped);
- Crafting concise and quotable messages;
- Bridging from asked questions to important issues and more nuanced context;
- Translating abstract issues into compelling stories and accessible analogies.
We offer this content in both group workshops and one-on-one coaching sessions tailored to the client’s particular communications challenges. Contact us to learn more about how we can address your needs.
PRESENTING WITH AUTHENTICITY AND IMPACT
This highly experiential presentation skills workshop allows women to gain confidence in expressing themselves authentically and effectively in formal and informal meetings and presentations. It offers a safe and supportive environment in which participants can adapt and apply proven tools and strategies to their own communication contexts. The course includes video-recording and customized feedback to cement learning, and the group size is limited to optimize individual feedback aimed at helping participants to:
- Identify both internal and external barriers to effective communication
- Recognize and build on existing strengths
- Tailor messages to audiences, and engage from the first word
- Organize material to enhance clarity and delivery
- Integrate stories and leverage concrete language
- Re-frame and manage presentation anxiety
- Overcome dependence on written text and improve visual aids
- Manage interactions with confidence
The content covered in Mastering Presence is essentially an extension of Communicating with Confidence, and can take the form of a one or two-day group workshop for 3 or 4 people, or individual coaching, spread out over several days or weeks to permit practice and application in between sessions. It is designed to provide more experienced speakers with in-depth personal feedback that will build on their existing strengths and help them reach the next level of authority, comfort and charisma.
GENDER INTELLIGENT COMMUNICATION WORKSHOPS
Gender intelligent organizations recognizing the benefits of inclusive workplaces create collaborative environments that effectively support both men and women in contributing all their ideas and talent. In the process, they enhance their capacity to attract and retain talent, capitalize on the innovation that emerges when diverse perspectives are shared, and mirror the values of the customers and communities they serve.
Acknowledging gender communication biases is a critical first step, and ongoing awareness and practical skill development are key to implementing lasting change. In partnership with OpenLine Communications, Informed Opinions offers hands-on, experiential workshops designed to increase confidence and drive behavioural change.
GENDER AWARENESS FOR STRONG WORK RELATIONSHIPS
This interactive workshop for mixed groups examines differences in gender-based communication, and explores how to build trust and communicate clearly with colleagues.
- Understand gender communication biases and preferences and how they show up at work;
- Identify and accept personal responsibility in communicating with others;
- Gain insight into the difference between typically male and female decision-making approaches;
- Recognize the strengths of both competitive and collaborative approaches;
- Understand how cultural norms, beliefs, values and attitudes can unintentionally create barriers to establishing workplace-specific trust and respect;
- Identify and use others’ communication style preferences to influence and motivate them to first-rate performance.
- Gain insight into your own communication strengths, weaknesses and preferences;
- Develop flexibility in your approach to communication and decision making;
- Develop more conscious, focused and effective communication;
- Create a more positive work environment.
All workshops can be customized to fit the needs of your organization and group.